SCOPE is a powerful, advanced multi-function optimal power flow (OPF) package, for the analysis of electric power system operation under transmission network congestion.
SCOPE is a powerful, advanced multi-function optimal power flow (OPF) package, for the analysis of electric power system operation under transmission network congestion. It covers applications in all spheres of power system network engineering, from real-time control to long-range planning, to deregulated marketing. It is well established as the world's most used OPF in Energy Management Systems. It continues to undergo intensive development.
The package is PCA's "flagship" product. Since 1984 it has remained, by a large margin, the industry's most technically advanced OPF. SCOPE contains several state of the art functions. It comprises a base package, plus a number of optional extensions, as follows:
- The SCOPE Base Package optimizes cost, price and other objectives by dispatching MW generation and MW flow-control devices. It offers very flexible modeling options. It respects a wide range of power system operating constraints, including the critically important post-contingency ("n-1") security constraints. The user has the option of selecting an accurate AC network model, or a simplified linear DC model. The latter permits lossless, non-iterative, linearly constrained studies that run considerably faster, require less data, and correspond to certain market models.
- The Market Operations Extension performs congestion management and bid evaluation in mixed spot/bilateral markets. It calculates uniquely comprehensive marginal cost breakdowns.
- The Transmission Rights Auction Extension evaluates bids in the sale of transmission rights contracts - Transmission Congestion Contracts (TCCs), or Fixed Transmission Rights Contracts (FTRs).
- The Voltage/VAR Optimization Extension performs optimal dispatch or installation of reactive power. In conjunction with the Market Operation extension, it handles bids to supply reactive power as an ancillary transmission service.
- The V-Fast Contingency Analysis Extension performs contingency screening and evaluation much faster than normally.
: SCOPE has a powerful new front-end ASCII data file processor DATMAN (data manager). This makes data input and output handling much simpler. It imports and exports industry standard power flow files such as PSS/E (trade mark of Power Technologies, Inc) and PSLF (trade mark of General Electric Company). As an example of DATMAN's convenience, a simple network constrained economic dispatch can be run by supplementing one of these solved power flow data files with a small extra file containing the generator cost curves. And so on for any other supplementary data, which is described with self-defining formats and can be re-used for different studies. Filtered global changes can be made to the data (e.g. scale by ten percent all loads larger than 20 MW and connected below 33 kV in areas 4 - 12). DATMAN also comes with a powerful data-aware screen editor.
Power Computer Applications, 1921 S. Alma School Road, Suite 207, Mesa, AZ 85210. Tel: 480-345-7600; Fax: 480-345-7601.